Spring awakening is the green heart of the year.
In the final few weeks of the vernal season, we have been admiring our favourite springtime florals. Diffusing waves of unique fragrance and colour around our gardens, spring blooms are wonderful for attracting beneficial pollinators and charming wildlife throughout all types of gardens and grounds. Whilst we’re awash with the bulbs of narcissus, bluebells and tulips, let’s peer into our wonderful list of 9 plant showstoppers that flourish in spring abundance, year on year.
1. Firstly we have Trollius europaeus. If you revel in Ranunculus you’ll enjoy the wilder Trollius, the globeflower with its soft cream layers of petals. Plant in the margins of a water scene or bed with plenty of moisture.
2. Dicentra spectabilis ‘Alba’; white blooms on languorous stems reach out in the spring sun, a long-flowering performer.
3. Geum. The oversized ruffles of ‘Mai Tai’ from the Cocktail Series, effortlessly blends sun-baked tones into a container or border planting
4. Helleborus from the diminutive x sahinii Winter Bells long flowering to the blousy magenta of Harvington Dusky. These varieties are peak performers from winter to spring.
5. Rosemarinus officinalis, great textures a true hardworking plant. It’s sky-blue flowers burst forth in spring. Keep a good prune, we shape to present in the borders.
6. Tiarella ‘Spring Symphony’ arrives with a glorious carpet of verdant leaves and white spires. Layer plenty into a shade/semi-shade border to enjoy amongst the brunnera and flag irises.
7. The unmissable Allium story of spring. We create Allium tapestries to bring the longest season of flowering with textures, colours and form. The shifting views, from the immense thrills of Globemaster and purple/rouge collections in the landscape, to the cool mesmeric whites of Mont Blanc et al, with their dreaming spires to bring a panoramic view.
8. Iris ‘Jane Phillips’, the coolest of bearded iris, effortlessly relaxed in the border planted en-masse opening in full purple ruffles fading to a china blue. Dare not to fall in love with it’s charm.
9. Camassias planted in drifts and swathes. Bring the wilder fringe in grass and/or amongst trees with these spring stars.
As ever, there are plants with real appeal where the happy convergence of bulbs, healthy lawns and the blossoming of trees makes for a remarkable planting season.