At The Oxfordshire Gardener, our philosophy is one of providing excellent and attentive garden care, with an approachable and friendly service, and we’re ready to welcome a new member to our team. So, if you’re keen to deliver first-class garden maintenance, have great communication skills and organised with a positive approach, we’d love to hear from you.
Duties & Responsibilities:
We are looking for an experienced gardener to join us in the nurturing and development of our portfolio of beautiful town and country gardens, including estate gardens of particular historic note.
Reporting to the Operations Manager/Head Gardener, you’ll be helping with maintenance of gardens, such as pruning and care of mixed and herbaceous borders, compost and mulching treatments, as well as soft landscaping projects, like the installation of planting schemes including trees, shrubs, kitchen gardens and herbaceous plants. You’ll be helping to cut hedges, provide skillful specialist pruning and mowing our fine lawns. You’ll also take ownership of specific gardens, ensuring the highest standards are maintained and that gardens are filled with healthy, beautiful plants for clients to enjoy.
The successful candidate will be able to work within a team or by themselves, undertaking professional garden care and realising planting schemes alongside the landscaping team. You will have a significant role in implementing design projects and mastering soft landscaping plans, whilst working alongside an award-winning Chelsea designer on a number of projects that have been commissioned.
Skills & Qualifications:
- A recognised horticultural qualification to RHS Level 2 standard or equivalent experience
- Ability to work both in a team and on your own, when required
- Confidence to provide appraisals of garden and advise clients
- Have proven practical gardening/horticulture experience, as well as a strong knowledge of plants
- Competence with machinery/equipment use as required for Health and Safety compliance.
- Motivation & pride in maintaining a consistently high standard of work
- Excellent communication skills
- External and in-house training
- Development plans tailored to your specific areas of specialism, interest and development goals.
- 30 days holiday (includes bank holidays), rising by 1 day each year after 3 years service to a maximum of 33 days.
- Company uniform and annual allowance
The company is continuing to develop their portfolio and now would be a very exciting time to join our expanding team of intrepid gardeners and landscapers, managing some of the most exceptional gardens in the area.
Person Specification – What We Look For in People:
This is a role in a progressive team so if you’re buzzing with energy, the drive to get things done, an eye for detail as well as a wider, long-term view of the gardens you care for, you strive for excellence and efficiency in horticulture and garden care, you love working in the serenity of nature, but have career goals, are brilliant at communicating with people on all levels and you have a gift for providing customers with excellent levels of care and service. If you’ve got all that going on as well as a great sense of humour then you’re just who we’re looking for.
- At least 2 years+ prior experience in providing garden maintenance
- RHS level 2 or Horticulture Diploma
- Full, clean drivers licence
- Experienced in use of power tools
- Hedge trimming experience
- Good plant knowledge
- Ability to work autonomously
- Strong teamwork skills
- Mowing and edging to professional standards
- Fit, strong, and healthy, capable of lifting equipment/plants to health and safety standards
- Excellent time management
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Positive flexible attitude
- Attention to detail and high standards
- Experience managing kitchen gardens or similar productive gardens including selection of varieties, crop rotation, extension and maximisation of fresh produce availability.
- Experience managing cutting gardens or similar productive gardens including selection of varieties, extension and maximisation of fresh bloom availability.
- Experience in implementing soft landscaping projects, such as installing new planting schemes or planning sympathetic additions to existing planted areas.
- Any hard landscaping skills or experience
- Comfortable with use of mobile technology for field-based reporting and general communication apps
- C1+E Drivers Licence
- PA1 & PA6 Spraying Licences
Job Type: Full-time or part-time roles available
Salary: £22,000 -£25,000 per annum
To apply for this role, please get in touch with your CV and covering letter to: [email protected]